Friday, April 2, 2010

Food For Thought Fridays

I was thinking of something for today and thought this might be appropriate.

Psalm 51: 1-12 says,

Have mercy on me, O God,
according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
and cleanse me from my sin!

For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is ever before me.
Against you, you only, have I sinned
and done what is evil in your sight,
so that you may be justified in your words
and blameless in your judgment.
Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity,
and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Behold, you delight in truth in the inward being,
and you teach me wisdom in the secret heart.

Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean;
wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Let me hear joy and gladness;
let the bones that you have broken rejoice.
Hide your face from my sins,
and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God,
and renew a right spirit within me.
Cast me not away from your presence,
and take not your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and uphold me with a willing spirit.

This is a Psalm by David after he had sinned against God with Bathsheeba, but it is suitable for us today.

During Easter, we need to remember, that God took action and why He did so.

Psalm 51: 7 says, "Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow."

One thing I notice as a theme through the chapter is who is doing the action (wash me, purge me, create in me, restore me, deliver me). David is not saying I will wash, I have purged, I created, etc. David is asking God to take action.

This is opposite of what most of us do. No matter how big or small the sin, we try to clean up our own mess in our own power. We might be able to paint the sin white for a while in our own strength, but eventually the dirt shines through.

But if we will let God take the soap of His word and wash us (even behind the ears), we will be white as snow. Snow isn't just white on the outside, it is white through and through.

Stop trying to do all the right things in your own strength and focus your attention on the character of God. We have to come to the King of All saying, "Wash me, filthy as I am, and I will be whiter than snow."

And He will.

Happy Easter!

No comments: