Friday, July 16, 2010

Food For Thought Fridays

A friend of mine quoted a car dealer as saying, "I pay my people just enough NOT to quit and they work just enough NOT to get fired."

I thought that was pretty funny, but when he told me that I jotted it down in my phone. Later, I started thinking that this statement of immaturity and mediocrity paralleled the members of most congregations.

We want God to bless us enough so we don't quit and we do just enough to feel like we won't get fired.

If God gives us what we want like the great vending machine in the sky, we won't pout or fuss. And if God tells us what we want to hear like a good little god, we won't whine or complain.

In response we give only 10% (if that much is not an inconvenience), we bring our Bibles to church on Sunday (if we can find them), we pray sometimes (if we get into enough trouble), all so we can feel like we have some "fire insurance."

1 Cor 13: 11 reads, “When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.”

If we are really going to follow Christ with all of our hearts, minds, souls and strength, it really is time to grow up.

My prayer for the church and myself is that we would remain childlike, but stop being childish.

No comments: